So – it’s April. in Maine, spring has sprung, and that means 3 months ish till summer. Fortunately, 3 months is JUST enough time to start burning off all of your winter indiscretions.
I’m back on the no drinking during the week bandwagon, and I’ve finally bit the bullet and joined a CrossFit gym, because I cannot be trusted. (Side note – this motivates me – just do what motivates you! but whatever you do – just do something 🙂 For the record – I’ve participated + enjoyed ALL of these trainers/gyms and I recommend them highly – Union Street Athletics – M.O.M. Personal Training – Rebel Well Fitness – Gold’s Gym Some people feel like they can cheat more when they work out – well I am kind of an all or nothing type of girl. So, this means when I work out super hard, I follow it up with eating well and am OK with passing up my nightly wine with some hot tea and some delicious protein. If I don’t work out, it’s wine + pizza or charcuterie + fromage ALL THE WAY. Not saying I am cutting that out completely – just saving it for a rainy day.
Now, I know I am not the only one that’s putting the pedal to the metal with the workout plan, and I’ve gotten pretty good at the meal prep thing, so I thought I’d start to share some of my favorite delicious, fun + easy things to prepare for dinner that are high protein, low carb + lower sodium, many fall in line with the Whole 30 program. I’ve got a nice stock pile of things in my pantry, so I can get away with picking up loads O’protein and kind of winging it throughout the week. (I’ll also post some of my favorite recipes on here and I’d love to hear yours as well! ) Here’s my arsenal of necessities!
- Olive oil – regular + infused- I prefer the Hannaford Rosemary + Lemon, or Tavoli – Lemon, it’s great to cook with!
- Olive oil Cooking Spray
- Coconut oil
- Spice rack – this is my biggest recommendation! stock. up. Here’s some of my faves..
- garlic powder
- smoked paprika – <3
- dried rosemary
- dried mustard
- cajun seasoning
- Mrs. Dash – assorted
- garlic cloves – LOTS – if you’re in Maine – Shaws sells it in bulk. It’s worth it. My Mom got methis little garlic zoom chopper and it’s awesome!
- super low sodium chicken broth – lots of it – I recommend Nature’s Choice if you’re in Maine
- onions – buy a bag
- sweet potatoes – small quantities, they go bad fast and travel far
- yellow potatoes – I prefer the Steamables – they are ready fast!
- fresh veggies for snacking – I grab a head of broccoli and chop up a zucchini
- Matrix protien powder – this stuff is the best!!! I put it in shakes and also cook with it to make protien snacks 🙂
- apple cider vinegar
- unsalted nuts – almonds +/or peanuts
- dried fruit of some kind – I have raisins
- dark roast coffee. obviously
- Natural, raw, organic sugar
- Thrive – this stuff is the BEST for energy
- lemons + limes
- some sort of fruit you like – apples, bananas
- Powdered peanut butter
- capers – if you have a salty palate
- Backup of pork roast, chicken + any other protein in your freezer at all times.
- Liquid egg whites – I currently buy enough to make 4 eggs per day.
- Whole eggs – bc they last forever and they are multi purpose and so delicious.
- Turkey bacon or turkey sausage – Hannaford brand or Applegate Farms are my faves, I rotate back and forth.
- cauliflower rice – Green Giant
- Litehouse dressings – avocado bacon ranch
- Bolthouse dressings – honey mustard, blue cheese, ranch
- Ezekiel bread or Van’s protien waffles
- Coconut Almond milk – fresh and backup
- Frozen fruit – I prefer strawberries
- Lettuce – romaine, arugula, bibb
- Kale – fresh or frozen or both
- Spinach – fresh or frozen (or both)
- cottage cheese – I am into these right now – Muuna
If you stick with these staples, you’ll always have something healthy + delicious to whip up. Of course, now I’ve gotten into watching food documentaries on Netflix, so I’m questioning meat, but it seems like as long as you stick with natural, locally sourced products, you should be good. A friend mentioned she bought direct from a farm and I’m going to look into that more, as I am trying to be the best version of myself and learning more and more about my body on the way.
I’d love to hear your thoughts!!
Cheers – and wish me luck!!
Like this? Pin it so others can, too!