Gooooddddd morning/afternoon/night – whatever time you’re reading this 🙂
It’s been a rough couple of weeks, with a lot of negative vibes roaming around, it’s easy to feel depressed or hopeless. I think it’s time to divert energy into something that will generate positive vibes – Self Love and Self Care! It’s important o love yourself. As most of you know, I have a lot going on. I am always going in a bajillion different directions, and being the optimist I am, I tend to overestimate the amount of time it takes to do things. I often take on many deadline driven projects at once, which leaves me with not a while lot of time to take care of myself. For example, I’ve been skipping the gym a lot lately, because I have so many projects spinning around. (www.lovemaineadventures.com) BUT – I classify that as self care. I mean it’s like my therapist. YIKES I don’t even want to think about how unmotivated I’d be without my adventures. It’s a part of my soul! Everyone has their thing – maybe it’s a sport, maybe it’s a hobby, maybe it’s your family – it’s important to have a purpose! (if you’re still struggling with what your purpose is – here’s a cool book I just got that will ask you some questions that might help you determine your life’s priorities. I know it’s a depressing thought, but time is your most valuable resource – you must use it wisely. and if you haven’t figured out your purpose, then you’re wasting valuable time where you could be experiencing true bliss! )
So- I wanted to write today to remind you of just how AWESOME you are. And I want you to believe it, too. SO step one – CUT THE NEGATIVE SELF TALK SHIT. You are enough, today, right now, in this moment! Sure, maybe you could be better, but hey so could everyone. And if you’re feeling overwhelmed with where you are vs. where you want to be – start a 5 year plan. Break it down into little chunks. And then check in with your goals often!
I found an article on Elephant Journal today that reaffirmed my belief that it’s important to do things for myself every so often – it helps my brain be the best it can, I am a better friend, a better partner, a better employee and a better daughter/sister! Besides – as the author describes it – “Self-love and self-care are not selfish. They are necessary. And if you don’t believe me, take some inspiration from the big shots below who have explained self-love with far more eloquence than I could ever hope to.” Here are my favorite quotes from the article on Elephant Journal by Emily Corbett – I hope they bring you peace and give you motivation to remind you just how many people throughout history have felt how you’ve felt – and they harnessed the energy and made it be a positive force. (only you can refocus your energy!!)
4. “You have been criticizing yourself for years, and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.” ~ Louise L. Hay
5. “Document the moments you feel most in love with yourself—what you’re wearing, who you’re around, what you’re doing. Recreate and repeat.” ~ Warsan Shire
7. “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” ~ Buddha
8. “I am my own experiment. I am my own work of art.” ~ Madonna
11. “The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours—it is an amazing journey—and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.” ~ Bob Moawad
12. “A healthy self-love means we have no compulsion to justify to ourselves or others why we take vacations, why we sleep late, why we buy new shoes, why we spoil ourselves from time to time. We feel comfortable doing things which add quality and beauty to life.” ~ Andrew Matthews
18. “People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within.” ~ Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
20. “Stand up for who you are. Respect your Self and ignite the divine sparks in you. Access your powers. Choose your rights and work together with others to bring blessings into the lives.” ~ Amit Ray
The author of the article on Elephant Journal – Emily Corbett – also made some suggestions, which I will share with you below….feel free to add your own in the comments – and share with someone who needs some good vibes <3
Here are a few ideas:
>> Take a long, luxurious bath.
>> Cancel something from your crazy schedule to simply read a book and drink some tea or coffee.
>> Meet up with a friend who you’ve been too busy to see.
>> Go to a yoga or meditation class.
>> Get a massage.
>> Clear time from your work schedule to spend quality time with your partner or kids. (But make sure you’re not working hard—let them dote on you!)
>> Cook something new, something healthy and nourishing—something that you want to eat, and isn’t necessarily a meal that pleases everyone else in your household. (If cooking is something that calms you.)
>> Star gaze.
>> Cloud gaze.
>> Simply lay down, put your legs up the wall and breathe.
>> Listen to some nice music, or some beautiful mantras.
>> Make a vision board all about your wishes and dreams.
>> Write yourself a love letter.
>> Sit in meditation, put your hands over your belly or your heart and emanate a deep gratitude for all that you are.
>> Draw, make a sculpture, take some photos—anything creative.
>> Spend some time in nature; take a walk in that beautiful place that’s really close to your house but you don’t have a chance to get to much.
>> Buy yourself a new book, especially if it’s something that soothes your soul.
>> Light a candle or some incense.
>> Put on your favorite comfy pants and take some time to truly lounge (especially if your life is busy busy busy).
>> Learn something new. (Consider what it is that you love learning about and see if there’s an online course, or even a documentary that you can watch.) It sounds nerdy, but we live to learn and to really stop and think about what interests us is a great way to show ourselves some kind attention.
>> Breathe in, breathe out.
>> Simply be.
Love and light to all of you – Let me know your favorite quotes and self care routines in the comments below!!!!!!!!!
<3 <3 <3 <3
Like this post? Pin it so others can too!